Join our Team
Join our Team
The Asheville Museum of Science seeks volunteers, interns, and full- and part-time employment candidates to join a creative team committed to our mission of inspiring children and cultivating life-long curiosity.
- Position type: Full-Time, 33- 40/wk
- Monday-Friday work schedule with flexibility when required, some weekends as needed
- Education Level: 4-year degree
Explore, Play, and Learn! The Asheville Museum of Science (AMOS) is a growing local science museum with interactive, hands-on exhibits for science lovers of all ages! We are Western North Carolina’s home for experiential science learning, discovery, and exploration. Young learners ages 3-12 will especially enjoy our exhibits and programs that strive to spark the imagination, fuel a passion for discovery and experimentation, and foster lifelong curiosity.
General Job/Position Summary:
The Programs Coordinator is an integral member of our informal education team, primarily serving PreK through 8th grade. Essential overall duties and responsibilities include the following, however other duties may be assigned.
- This position is typically a Monday-Friday employee with flexibility when required
- The museum is open most holidays closing only for Memorial Day, Labor Day, Juneteenth, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Easter Sunday.
Coordinates programs and builds systems for strong and timely communication with program participants, partners, and team members (65%).
- Coordination at AMOS includes, but is not limited to, being the main communicator with schools and other partners, scheduling programs, working with AMOS’ point of sale system, assigning team members, communicating with the entire team regarding programs, and following up post-program with any needs such as evaluations, payments, thank you’s, and offers for further programming.
- Coordinates all education programming including field trips, Afterschool, Outreach, and more
- Coordinates some other programs such as birthday parties and community tabling events
- Communicates effectively with and assigns team members to program opportunities
- Works with the team, builds and grows partnerships with schools, libraries, and other potential partners to allow for additional initiatives
- Identifies, designs, and implements systems to allow for efficient and effective communication and duties within the scope of the position
- Works with the team to prepare and maintain supplies for field trips and other programs
- Coordinates and conducts weekly Education Team meetings
Works as a forward-facing educator representing AMOS through informal education programs, on the exhibit floor, and through other initiatives ensuring exceptional guest experience and interaction (25%).
- Designs and implements STEAM focused educational activities that engage, build on prior knowledge, and allow time and space for people of all ages to investigate and explore – including but not limited to summer camps, afterschool programs, field trips and outreach programs, birthday parties, Saturday STEAM, and adult programming
- Creates and implements unique STEAM focused programs for visitors of all ages, in group and one-on-one settings
- Will be involved as a lead as a summer camp counselor during camp as needed
- Engages with visitors in informal education situations, allowing for learning through experimentation, discovery, and play.
Works to build a positive, supportive, curious ecosystem as a cohesive team and prepares for programs and visitor interaction (10%).
- Communicates needs of educational programs with Coordinator and/or Science Literacy Director
- Maintains cleanliness and order of STEM Lab, equipment, and areas back-of-house.
- Supports entire museum team in other duties
- Creates and consults with team on new ideas and solutions, showing excitement when asked to lead initiatives
- Actively participates in staff and planning meetings
- Completes other duties as assigned
Works as part of a team with behavior consistent with the organizational culture and expectations (100%)
Continually maintains an outwardly positive, professional demeanor toward coworkers and guests
- Maintains a collaborative, team-oriented approach, and can-do attitude
- Assists and supports other team members in their responsibilities when help is needed
- Welcomes guests and team members from diverse backgrounds and abilities
- Displays adaptability and flexibility in ever-changing environment
- Assists in training and shares business-related knowledge with fellow team members
- Shows curiosity in learning from other team members
- Welcomes and uses feedback to improve skills and knowledge
- Maintains a consistently high level of performance
- Enjoys being part of a professional environment where timeliness and professionalism is important
Qualifications and Skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated experience and excellence in coordination of events, communications, contracts, resource management, and team members relating to programs scheduling
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year College or University and demonstrated experience in formal or informal education. Two years of experience in museums or related organizations or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s degree in science field, education or related field preferred
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience working with children, preferably in a classroom or camp setting
- STEM lesson/activity planning and implementation
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience implementing STEM and hands-on science activities
- Demonstrated leadership through supervisory and team leader roles
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED certification or the ability to obtain
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Public speaking ability
- Loves details and embraces making systems/processes more efficient and effective
- Is able to and enjoys creating systems/processes for efficiency and better communication with educators and teammates
- Seeks to learn and grow
- Scientifically: proactively seeks ways to build strength of understanding across all scientific fields
- Self-directed and accepts accountability for own actions
- Works well with and actively works to be supportive of teammates and supervisors
- Has a desire to learn from others, try new skills on their own, and debrief to learn about how to improve
- Provides excellent visitor experience to people of all ages and abilities
- Is proactive in their curiosity about science and how the world works
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft office, word processing and spreadsheet software. Can easily learn other systems such as AMOS’ current CRM/POS System – Blackbaud Altru.
- Proficient knowledge and proven experience using a CRM system for scheduling programs, communications, and contract management.
- Work requires use of project management tools such as said CRM system and self-created tools to schedule programs and coordinate resources.
AMOS is an active, bustling environment with a moderate to loud noise environment. Employees must regularly lift and /or move up to 40 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; walk; use hands to manipulate objects, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Also regularly required to talk and hear while performing the functions of this job. The employee must have a reliable vehicle to arrive to work and outreach programs on time.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
- Salary and Hourly positions available. $17-21/ hour
- Benefits include PTO accrue time on a pro-rated basis each month, health care reimbursement, reimbursement for parking may be available based on employee position
- Museum will be closed for certain holidays, holiday pay available.
- Mileage reimbursement for off-site location programming beyond the City of Asheville.